Monday, July 27, 2009

A Teachable Moment

Radio: Obama, Gates, Crowley, Beer.

Dave: What do you think about that?

Me: About what?

Dave: About what Obama said?

Me: Oh, is this about the arrest in Cambridge? I wasn't paying attention.

Dave: Yeah. I think he was wrong for blaming the cops. That's just fucked up.

Me: He didn't blame the cops..

Dave: Yeah he did! He said they were wrong for arresting him.

Me: Oh really? He said that?

Dave: Well, something like that. Why the fuck did he even get involved!? He needs to do his fucking job!

Me: I like how at a press conference about health care the last question was about this case.

Dave: Oh he knew that question was coming.

Me: That's why he used the word, "stupidly" - he knew it would play well.

Dave: I don't know but that guy is just an asshole. The cop was just doing his job whether the guy was white or black or whatever.

Me: Are you black?

Dave: What the fuck does that have to do with anything.

Me: Look, I've seen enough outright racism and subtle racism by some police officers that it's not out of the realm. One time in college I was over a friend's house on a Friday night; we were going to watch movies, order pizza and smoke blunts. Cops busted in and they shook everyone down - they frisked them, asked for ID's, and checked them for warrants. I was the only person not even acknowledged much less frisked and berated and I was also the only white person in the room. And this was out in liberal, la-la Amherst.

Dave: What? You think they didn't search you because you're white?

Me: What do you think?

Dave: Look, I don't give a fuck what color you are. I don't judge people by their skin color.

Me: HA!!

1 comment:

  1. I think Dave and Obama should have a beer together and it should be filmed. It would be the new My Dinner With Andre.

    ReplyDelete